The Carolinas Leadership Academy (CLA) is on the campus of The First Tee of Coastal Carolinas, located just outside Shallotte, NC. It opened in March 2013. The CLA is a program of The Carol S. Petrea Youth Golf Foundation, Inc., a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization.
The First Tee of Coastal Carolinas Carolinas Leadership Academy (CLA) is the perfect place for your teen to spend an unforgettable week at the beach! The CLA is a weekly overnight camp for boys and girls between the ages of 14-17. Our 10,000 square foot facility houses fifty campers plus counselors and coaches. Foodservice of all meals and snacks is included and is prepared onsite in our restaurant quality, state-of-the-art kitchen. The CLA sits on twenty-eight secluded acres with a nine-hole Par 3 course, driving range, multiple putting and chipping areas and plenty of wide open space to engage in various other activities and sports-all within a few miles of the beach!
Your teen will make lifelong friends with other campers from all over the country while learning valuable leadership skills and techniques in a fun and interactive environment The week is also filled with playing golf, visiting local attractions and spending time at the beach! Our leadership training is very well regarded by colleges, employers and military recruiters.
“The leadership aspects as well as the friendships I gained have helped me shape my character. The CLA exposed me to bigger golf-related goals with the introduction to more experienced players and influenced my interests in officer and leadership roles in clubs and sports throughout my school.”-Powell, High School Sophomore.
“The CLA taught me the leadership and character building skills I now use on a daily basis in college. I gained confidence in myself and learned how to be a better rounded citizen, all while having fun and making life-long friends. I was also able to advance my golf skills. I still use the lessons I learned at the CLA today on the course as a college golfer!”-Cameryn, College Sophomore and CLA counselor.
Please Check Back For our 2018 CLA Schedule and Registration
Here is some more information!!
Here is some important information to know before your arrival to camp!
- Only prescription medicine will be accepted. All medications will be collected by staff upon check-in and logged. Medicine must be in the original prescription containers with the original prescription label. Medications are not permitted in the dorm rooms (please note this does not include inhalers.) Please notify the staff of over-the-counter medications. Medications are dispensed by the CLA staff as prescribed.
- No outside food or drinks are permitted.
- You are welcome to bring cell phones, but will not be allowed to be on them during structured activities . The CLA staff is not responsible for lost or damaged electronics.
- Please remember that it is hot here during the summer! The average temperatures are in the high 80’s-90’s, with humidity levels in the 90’s. Please pack accordingly!
Please ensure your child has the following items upon check-in:
- Bedding for twin mattress (pillow, sheet, blankets)
- Bath towel
- Wash Cloth
- Hair Dryer (if necessary)
- Athletic shoes
- Flip Flops
- Bathing suit-We do go to the beach on Wednesday!
- NO cutoff shorts or cut off jeans
- Dress code is casual
- Combination lock for locker (optional)
- Insect repellent
- Golf Clubs-We have sets here for your child if they do not own their own golf clubs
PLEASE NOTE: Our facility is a 100% weapon, knife, lighter, drug, alcohol and tobacco free facility. We have a zero tolerance for these items.